Christ the King Parish began as a mission of Saint Mary of the Immaculate Conception in 1938. On Passion Sunday, 1938 the mission chapel was completed and dedicated to Christ the King. In June of 1949 Christ the King became an independent parish with Reverend Conrad C. Hoffner as first resident pastor.
Through the foresight, dedication and strong spiritual leadership of Fr. Hoffner, Christ the King rapidly grew. Fr. Hoffner also began to acquire land and make plans for a rectory, church and school.
Construction began on the new school and auditorium, which was to serve as a temporary church, in 1953. By 1954, construction on the auditorium and the first phase of the school was completed, and on June 27, 1954, the new (temporary) church was dedicated. Renovations on a building purchased onAshland Avenueto serve as the convent for the Franciscan Sisters of Mill Hill were completed. In September, Christ theKingSchool, staffed by Franciscan Sisters, opened with 471 pupils in kindergarten through fourth grade and the convent was blessed. The old chapel became the Parish Hall.
Construction continued and in June 1959 the first class of Christ the King eighth graders graduated. This class and members of the PTA placed a statue of Christ the King on the grounds in honor of Sister Austin, the first Principal of the school.
In the spring of 1989 parishioners were asked for feedback on building a new church or renovating the auditorium. The Most Reverend Walter F. Sullivan, D.D., approved CTK’s request to consider renovation or construction. A committee was formed. After much discussion and several Town Meetings, it was decided to build on the space envisioned by Fr. Hoffner.
Plans for the new church proceeded. The Parish Week of Renewal took place – growing together as a community. On May 23, 1993, the ground breaking celebration took place on the site of the new church.
In April 1994 construction began. On November 20, 1994, on The Feast of Christ the King, the new church was formally dedicated by Bishop Sullivan. The new church incorporates many furnishings from the original chapel, the “temporary church,” or the convent: the Tabernacle, the Tabernacle stand (which was the original Baptistery), the Sanctuary Lamp, the angels to mention a few. The marble on the altar, the ambo, and the tabernacle stand was cut from larger pieces from the previous altar. The stained, carved, wooden doors depicting the Holy Family were plaques mounted on the walls on each side of the altar in the “temporary church”. The altar stone was from the previous altar. The Credo table was the Sisters’ altar in the convent. The Corpus from the original Church was restored and hung over the Altar in 2007.
The former church building was renovated and becomes the “church hall” / auditorium / gymnasium.
In 2000, Pastor Brian Rafferty and Principal Miriam Cotton formed the “Focus on the Future” Committee, responsible for developing and implementing a strategic plan for the future growth of the parish and school.
Under the leadership of Father Matthias and our former pastors, Christ the King parish has always been a faith filled community with a vision for the future. Our history is a testament of God’s many and frequent blessings and we invite you to be an active part of our future.